Posts Tagged 'ruins'

My First Foamcore Ruins: FINISHED

Several years ago, I started a project. I designed and built a ruined building out of foamcore. I added some details and some debris, made a blog post about it, and then it sat on my printer for A Long Time. Then, I finally primed it and painted it (half-assedly, I might add) and then it sat on the printer again, for A Long Time. Eventually it ended up in a photo on my blog related to something else. And then we moved, and it sat in the basement again for A Long Time.

Earlier this spring, I repainted it and it was finished. And this past weekend, I finally took some decent pictures of it.

I'm sorry, I will not stay at this hotel again

I don’t think it has a great amount of detail, but it’s got more detail than many foamcore buildings you see on some gaming tables, so I suppose it’s a step in the right direction. There’s a fine line one must walk between making something that looks like a diorama (this is nowhere near that quality, obviously)  and something that’s actually playable and will allow you to stand some models on it.

I think it needs a little more detail on the outside

I repainted this with my first airbrush lesson with John back earlier in the summer, and added a few more visual details after the new coats of paint. If you plan on doing a lot of terrain, picking up even a cheap airbrush will make your work so much quicker and look quite a bit nicer as well. Painting large areas with a brush is really time consuming and difficult to make look good.

I really should've put a figure in one of these photos for scale purposes

Also, you want to make sure to add details. If you have ever seen a building before (and I suspect you might’ve) you’ll have noticed that they have details on them. Things like pipes, vents, junction boxes, heating and cooling units, etc. That, and simple surface details and window sills and the like, really enhance the look of a building. I should do a post or two just about those kinds of things.

My First Foamcore Ruins

So, I have been building terrain for several years now: hills, walls, shrines and the like. However, I’ve never built the standard foamcore ruined building for use on my gaming table. A few weeks ago, I started to correct that error.

The outside of my ruined building

The outside of my ruined building

I started, as I usually do, at the computer. I used my vector drawing program to draw a two-story wall section with window holes and such and printed it out for a template. That allowed me to trace my template on to some nice, non-bent and non-molested pieces of foamcore, which were actually difficult to find at my place. After I cut the shapes out of the foamcore, I glued them to the piece of MDF I had prepared before. The MDF was cut using a RotoZip saw and then it was sanded and smoothed with a combination of my crappy Dremel and a sanding block.

And the inside, and its happy rubble.

And the inside, and its happy rubble

Once my foamcore walls and base were all glued together, I started working on details. I’m a big fan of details in terrain. I glued a mixture of sand and kitty litter to the “broken” edges of the walls, and added it to the floors along with some other little pieces of sprue and plastic for rubble. I also glued down jagged pieces of plaster that I had prepared and broken earlier to give the look of broken concrete. I want to cover the floor and make it look convincing, but I still need the terrain to be usable. If I can’t stand a miniature on most of it, then it’s not a very playable piece of terrain, it’s mainly just an obstacle. Obstacles have their place on the gaming table, but not usually as an entire ruined building. Therefore, I’m careful about my placement of my debris.

Finally, I added pieces of plastic card and cereal card as molding and other architectural details to the structure. I believe that even simple foamcore ruins can be greatly improved with some simple window sills and other surface embellishments.

As it turns out, I thought I had something else going on this Saturday, but now I’m mainly free, so I’m going to see if I can finish the detailing on this piece and get it primed (if it’s not rainy) so I can start painting it. I’ll post more images once I get to that point.

atom smashing

A gaming blog talking about miniatures games, miniatures painting and collecting, game design and other nerdly delights.

The Statistics – 2013

Minis games played:
• WH40k (1850 pts):
   BT/GK vs Kevin (Eldar/DE) LOST
• WH40k (1500 pts):
   BT vs Jason (D.E.) LOST
• WH40k (1500 pts):
   BT vs Kevin (S.W.) LOST
Minis finished:
 none yet
Terrain finished:
 none yet
Cons attended:
 Fire & Ice
updated 28FEB2013

Enter your email address below and receive notifications of new posts in your inbox.

Join 16 other followers